Thursday, November 1, 2007

2004 Babcock Cabernet Sauvignon 'Nucleus' Estelle Vineyard

As compared to the "Loin" (cabernet sauvignon from Babcock), this cab is more traditional - more Sonoma/Napa in character. The body is already very silky (thanks in part to some Merlot in the blend, I'm sure) and the color is a rich dark violet color. On the nose, you get big black fruits with a slight charred oak, all typical north coast CA cab. On the palate, you are met with a blast of oaky fruit, some currant, and more of the same for the fairly long finish (this after being opened overnight, mind you). I taste a lot of the merlot in this wine, even though it does not have all that much, and while it is a very enjoyable and high quality cab, I don't enjoy it as much as the very unique Loin that Bryan put out at the same time. Different tastes I'm sure would put this ahead of the Loin, but I enjoy the uniqueness.

No comments: